Spicy butterbean, chickpea and butternut squash stew
Enjoy this vegetarian stew recipe, made with butternut squash, butterbeans and chickpeas, as a healthy midweek meal
NUTRITIONAL INFO PER SERVING
- Calories 261kcals
- Fat 6.2g (0.9g saturated)
- Protein 13.8g
- Carbohydrates 38.4g (14.5g sugars)
- Fibre 14.4g
- Salt 1.3g
- 2 red onions
- ½ large butternut squash or 1 sweet potato
- 1 leek
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp sweet smoked paprika (pimentón)
- 390g chopped tomatoes with chilli (our head chef likes the Cirio brand, available from most supermarkets)
- 450ml vegetable stock
- 400g tin butterbeans
- 400g tin chickpeas
- 200g spinach
- Greek yogurt (optional)
Slice the red onions into wedges. Peel and cut the squash or sweet potato into 2cm cubes.
Slice the leek at an angle.
Heat the oil in a large saucepan. When hot, add the onions, squash/sweet potato, leek and paprika, then fry for 10 minutes or until the veg take on some colour.
Add the chopped tomatoes and stock, then simmer for 15-20 minutes. Drain and rinse the butterbeans and chickpeas, then stir them through the stew along with the spinach.
Simmer for 5-10 minutes more. Taste and season, then serve with Greek yogurt, if you like.
To download this recipe to PDF, please click here