It’s time for another Green Mary CampUS Challenge! This month the theme is waste and we would like you to send us your photos showing us how waste has an impact on the environment or how you are making steps to reduce the amount of waste you produce.
We will be awarding a £30 One for All voucher to the photograph that is the most creative or impactful so get creative!
So why is it important to reduce the amount of waste we produce?
- Waste management, including landfill, released 41% of the UK’s Methane emissions in 2008
- Every year we produce about 3% more waste than the year before
- Each Christmas the UK throws away 226,800 miles of wrapping paper, which is enough to stretch nine times around the world
- We throw away 7.2 million tonnes of food every year, and more than half of that is perfectly edible
So how do we go about reducing the waste we produce?
There are lots of ways to reduce the amount of waste you produce, here are just a few…
- Purchase a reusable water bottle and fill it up with tap water – this will not only reduce the amount of plastic that is thrown away or sent to recycling but also will reduce the amount of carbon associated with purchasing bottled water (the amount of carbon produced by just 1 litre of bottled water is equivalent to 1,000 litres of tap water!)
- Donate items rather than throwing away – you can now donate books, clothes, shoes, electrical items and more on campus at the British Heart Foundation donation banks – find out more here
- Shop second hand – You can get some great buys at charity shops, not only will you reduce waste, you’ll also save yourself some money!
- Remember your bag for life – Avoid paying 5 pence for a plastic bag that will take 5,000 years to biodegrade and remember your bag for life to carry your shopping home in
- Buy recycled items – buying items with a recycled content such as notebooks will reduce the amount of waste going to landfill
- Upcycle – Before you throw an item away, have a think whether you could make use of it in a different way – for example, turning a wine bottle into a candle holder is an easy option!